Pain, Pain, Go Away – Say Goodbye to Sciatica Pain with MAPS
What is Sciatica?
Sciatica pain is a set of symptoms that can happen with a variety of conditions involving the sciatic nerve. The sciatic nerve is the largest in the body, branching from either side of the spine in the low back and further branching through the seat and into the legs. These nerves are responsible for communicating both sensation and function between the brain and body, so symptoms can range from various types of nerve pain to muscle failure and challenges with mobility. Sciatica pain usually only impacts one side of the body, and can include shooting, stabbing and burning, or include tingling, pins and needles, numbness, and throbbing. Mobility issues can include everything from weakness to complete loss of muscle control. Perhaps most frustrating for those with the condition is that there is not much relief; it is often made worse by sitting, standing, lying down, bending, coughing, or sneezing.
What Causes Sciatica?
Because the sciatic nerve branches out between the vertebrae, issues often begin there. In some cases, arthritic changes to the bones can cause narrowing of the sciatic space that puts pressure on the nerves, and in others, the cushioning discs between the vertebrae are injured. When disc compression occurs, injuries like a “slipped” or bulging disc can press against the sciatic nerve, or a disc rupture can inflame the nerve. On occasion, structural misalignment and muscular imbalances across the back of the seat and sacrum can contribute to conditions like piriformis disorder, where muscle spasms cause compression. How can MAPS Centers for Pain Control help you find sciatica pain relief from such complex symptoms?
What Effective Sciatica Treatment Options are Available?
When pain is at its worst, you need to be able to rely on the best. That’s why the double board-certified physicians at MAPS have dedicated their careers to finding and sharing the most effective pain medicine treatments available. Sciatica pain is complex, and pain relief requires a comprehensive care plan:
- Chiropractic treatment helps align the structures of the spine for proper pressure distribution and biomechanics.
- Physical rehabilitation by therapists helps to relax strained muscles, stretch tight tissues, and build strength for stabilization.
- Bracing and support for weakened areas ensure stability during recovery.
- Injection-based therapies are non-surgical options that effectively relieve pain, and may include SI joint injections, epidural steroid injections, trigger point injections, lumbar sympathetic blocks, and other advanced alternative therapies.
- Surgical alternatives including Radio Frequency Ablation, spinal cord stimulator implantation, and disc decompression have helped thousands of patients find lasting pain relief.
Call MAPS Pain Specialists in Chicago for Sciatica Relief
Sciatica can be a challenging condition to treat, and the unique group at MAPS Centers for Pain Control is committed to providing the highest level of care with an advanced, comprehensive treatment protocol. By offering a variety of modalities from a team of dedicated specialists, we provide a balanced approach to your pain relief to help you avoid surgery and get back to the lifestyle you love. Call us today to schedule an appointment to learn more!